Saturday 3 July 2010

Get Hitched or Die trying...


Almost everyone believes one of the greatest achievements in life is marriage. Culture, society, religion and to some extent the media, have led us to believe that one of our greatest callings in life is to get hitched. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that millions of people walk down the aisle each year. As a Nigerian, I'm deeply envious of the lucky people who have capitalised on the wedding industry. In hindsight, I can see very clearly that all that time I spent trying to reason with my Econometrics lecturer in uni was a waste of time. If only I had the gift of foresight, I would have been business savvy enough to sign up for bakery classes, chocolate fountain classes or even event planning classes, just to enjoy all the perks that come with rendering your services to the average (depends what circle you have in mind) Lagos wedding, such as all expense paid business trips to Lagos every other weekend, fat cheques and almost A-list celebrity status. As an outsider, I know not what the wedding craze is about, but all I know and see (thanks to Facebook), is that everyone is getting hitched!

Should I be freaking out? Am I doing something wrong? Do I lie to myself that I am merely waiting for the right trooper to come along? Should I hoe it up to lock him down? Should I broaden my horizons and look outside my tribe/religion/race? I believe a lot of us ladies have asked ourselves one or two, if not all these questions. But we need to start asking >>>> Is this too good to be true? Is he just trying to get hitched? And why???

So today's post was inspired by a group chat my friends and I had via BB messenger the other day. According to her sources (male relatives), the latest fad for single men in Lagos is to get hitched. To this, the rest of us literally ran off to buy our single tickets to Lagos lol. But there had to be a big fat BUT. And this was the catch, these men were prepared to do whatever to get down that aisle and say I do. So long as their bride to be's daddy was PAID! She went on to tell us how she knew of one dude in particular, whose marriage has had people betting on a five month expiration date!! Why? Well, his wife to be has a reputation for dating governors and other big daddies but he's just a "trying to make it" 29 year old guy, who just liked what he saw a little too much and went around borrowing huge sums of money to prove he could sustain the kind of life she is used to. So what happens after the great faaji (party)...oops I mean wedding?? Will he continue borrowing to keep up with the Joneses?? I mean I don't quite get it lol. It is not a funny matter but you can't help but chuckle at the mere stupidity and short-sightedness of it all. To further prove this point, an old classmate from secondary school (Atlantic Hall), told us today he would gladly marry an older rich woman, preferably a white one, so he could have all the pampering he needs.

When women asked for equal rights, I'm quite certain this wasn't what we had in mind. Being of a rather traditional school of thought, I firmly believe the man is the rightful breadwinner of the home. Besides I wasn't raised to think otherwise as my mum merely worked for leisure. Granted times have evolved and life is QUITE expensive for the up and coming parents to be but do we really wanna have a baby by him, be a millionaire or have a baby with him, make him a millionaire? Have we all become so engrossed with the material things we can get from marriage that we leave all the other stuff till we have just five months left then its divorce lawyers and profile changes on facebook etc. I am not saying, go all CIA on your potential partner but ladies be careful! The same way a lot of girls "mistakenly" fall preggers to lock him down, a lot of brothers are selectively targeting their future wives and doing whatever it takes to make you say "I do".