Wednesday 30 June 2010

What's love got to do with it?


Today I'm writing from my local Starbucks, I felt I needed a change of scenery to get closer to my subject matter and besides, it's another sunny day in London, a reason to get relatively dressed up, don a pair of stunnas and sip on a couple of frappucions while I "people watch" and umm get inspiration for a blog post. Amazing how Starbucks manages to stay equally busy in the summer as in the winter, somehow coffee shops in Lagos just always seem dead. Anyways I digress, so whilst trying to work out if the couple next to me were an actual item or perhaps father and daughter. A rather intimate kiss promptly reaffirmed my fears. They were indeed "kicking it" as some people would say. I once again pondered the appeal of the pensioner with a beach house in the Caribbeans, a villa in Spain, a luxury yacht in Cannes and a penthouse in Manhattan, oh and of course a boathouse in Chelsea.....sweet! The rise of infidelity means a lot of us women are really not looking for love anymore. It seems to be all about security, financial security that is. Perhaps the credit crunch didn't only play a major role in reshaping the global economy and the financial world but also the way we go about the business of dating. As I sat there watching Mr Smith (a.k.a the wealthy pensioner) and Candy (the 20 something year old eye candy) get a little too personal for my daytime Starbucks "people watching", I got a message from one of my best friends saying " My ideal life would be to marry a mega rich man, the type where all I'm expected to do is shop, go on all expense paid holidays with him and the girls (guess she figured we had all be unmarried eeeks!), dine at the best restaurants, attend high-brow social events and represent him at bourgeois networking events. Then have our babies when I'm 35 and 38". I chuckled at this message and replied saying I could probably do without the man but have all of the above. Scary huh, but really as Tina Turner famously sang, what's love got to do with it? When from all the stories I've heard and even personal experiences, love just isn't enough. Last Friday, my friends and I stumbled into the Sanderson Hotel's Long Bar and had an awesome time as usual. Maybe the fact we kept getting approached by your typical wealthy pensioner made us feel a bit closer to our respective dreams and the odd sight of Raef Bjayou (The Apprentice contestant) and his obviously drunk girlfriend who told me my dress was "gaw-jus dah-ling" made it a night to remember. But the bevy of beauties from all races, being entertained by what seems to be the latest female accessory "Mr Smith" just made me ask all over again...What's love got to do with it?". As the original Mr Smith and Candy continued to chew their faces off, my frappucino lost it's appeal and I decided to wander into Oxford Street for a bit of "hottie spotting" a.k.a. fit men aged 25-35 nice! An accomplished man will always have his appeal and with time you could get to love him, but I do believe in the possibilities of love at first sight.