Friday 2 July 2010

Ridin' Solo.....

As I try to sound out Jason Derulo's latest single in my busy mind, I can't help but see the link between his lyrics and the last SATC episode I watched (Season 2 Episode 4: They shoot single people, don't they?). Downing my frosty Magners Irish pear cider and munching away at my steamy butter popcorn (yum!), I took a mental snapshot of Carrie's laptop screen as she typed the words "Is it better to fake it than be alone?"
I realised Jason's top hit single just might be one of the greatest "single" anthems of our time! Having had the media and everything else tell us that going solo just might be the worst thing ever, I find a lot of us have resorted to selling ourselves short to avoid the alone stigma. In that very episode, interviews conducted on the streets of NY showed that even men faked it, to avoid being alone. I will draw on a few illustrations to prove my point:
Case 1: Your man loves them model like and you are a healthy size 12. Few weeks into your relationship, you find yourself replacing your old wardrobe with size 8 clothes. The transition could have been subconscious granted but you just faked it to avoid getting dumped. VERDICT: Guilty!
Case 2: You believe diamonds are a girl's best friend so to certify your chances of bagging the hot stuff you've been trying to woo since that lucky encounter you had at your mate's wedding, you take a trip to Tiffany and splurge your entire life savings on what the salesman assures you is their best seller. Guess what? You faked it to avoid being alone. VERDICT: Guilty!

The list is endless and some may call it compromising in the name of love or whatever else. Simply put, you are faking it or just living in a state of comfortable discomfort (i.e. putting up with what you've got because you had rather have it than nothing at all). To that Jason says "Now I'm feeling how I should. Never knew single could feel this good". And I think he could be on to something. Granted, dinner for one, cinema trips alone, solo holidays, single bar hopping and so many other activities alone could be a tad drab BUT it depends on your approach. Some of the best moments in my life have been had in my single times, with my family and friends. I am not trying to start a war between Solos and Duos like most (scorned) single people do. I don't go about yelling "GET A ROOM!" at every unnecessary PDA (public display of affection) I come across in London and trust me there are far too many even for a non-single gal! All I'm saying is riding solo could be fun too and it's time we went out and showed the duos just what they are missing! :p
On that note, I'm off to devour July's issue of Pride magazine, coincidentally, the words "WHY IT'S GOOD TO BE SAS - Successful, Attractive but Single" have been boldly printed across the bottom of the cover. Told you solo was fabulous! xoxo