Wednesday 28 July 2010

Hookahdom

Yesterday was one of those days that were just too good I wasn't quite sure what part to blog about. Everything was splendid and to top it all off, my dear friend (first ever person my antisocial self made friends with at uni *blush*), treated me to my favourite Thai restaurant, Busaba Eathai. My close peoples know I'm ALL about great conversation and boy did we have A LOT to talk about, especially as we hadn't done a one-on-one session in ages. One of the things we talked about was our blatant love for London and how this city caters for everyone like none other, especially in the summer when we have a gazillion tourists roaming about (sometimes aimlessly lol).
So on my way back home, driving through Edgware Road a.k.a. Hookahdom (some call it Little Beirut), I couldn't help but notice how different this road looked back in the 90s when hardly any Hookah or Shisha bars existed. Now, a drive through this stretch of road feels like a drive through the streets of Persia, Egypt, Morocco and other Arab cities. It also smells different and every other restaurant doubles as a Shisha bar. Even their Starbucks is customised, luv it! For someone who lives really close by, I am certainly not a hookah queen, in fact I've only smoked it once and that was on a trip to DC sometime last year, probably Thanksgiving (random I know). Anyhow it was fun but I hear it is worse than smoking a fag (well that is what my lil sis told me). For now, I'll just stick to admiring my miniature Moroccan Hookah pipe (see photo), which I bought on a trip to Marrakech with my friend, a few years ago (great place but take a man, you'll need the protection!). Lurve bric-a-brac and try to get some wherever I go. That reminds me, must head to Portobello road tomorrow (note to self, no Hummingbird cupcakes allowed!)