Thursday 29 July 2010

Back in the day..

If there were ever a time to obsess about the past, I think now would be it. With shows like Mad Men receiving rave reviews (for obvious reasons! the show is AH-MAY-ZEEING!!! like OMG Don Draper!) and a lot of 80s trends making a comeback this year, I think a little walk down memory lane should be embraced. Besides history is a great reference for the future (okay I just made that up lol). Having zoomed my way through all the episodes of Mad Men thanks to http://www.tvduck.com/, I decided to go out and buy a couple of DVDs from the 80s to help pass the time. It was during my rummage in HMV that I stumbled across an 80s movie club DVD box set for Working Girls, which included five movies: Desperately Seeking Susan, Moonstruck, Romancing the Stone, Where Harry Met Sally and Working Girl (great selection no). Given my investment banking background and work withdrawal symptoms (which I felt for the first time this week), I obviously started off with Working Girl which I had never seen. I was glued to my screen from the opening song (Let the River Run), till the closing credits. Top movie without a doubt! Great wardrobe, stellar performance from Melanie Griffiths (never knew she looked / acted that good once upon a time!), intelligent script with some great lines:

Mel G - "I've got a head for business and a body for sin, is anything wrong with that?" (Fierce!!!)
Mel G - "I'm not steak, you can't just order me"
Sigourney Weaver - "Dress shabbily they notice the dress, dress impeccably they notice the woman - Coco Chanel"

Aside from Alec Baldwin, the male talent was lacking (visually). I actually found a young Harrison Ford a bit too clean cut for my liking, but he still made a fine executive, and what is it with men (Don Draper too) and extra shirts in their office drawers?? Doubt my colleagues ever had such stashes, not that I was looking. Oh and the outdated computer monitors were hilarious with the plain black screen and ghastly green text display (life with no MS Excel eeeek!). All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this flick, think I'll be checking out Desperately Seeking Susan next :-)