Thursday 15 July 2010

World Cup.....Over n Out!

The ground breaking FIFA 2010 world cup is officially over, we can all now stop pretending to love football (or the offside rule) and just mourn the loss of hot men running after a ball for 90+ minutes (nooooooooooooooo!). Unlike a lot of women (and some men, mind you), I actually happen to enjoy footie to some extent so I had no qualms with days in the office when all we did on the trading floor was clean out the vending machines and watch the 3:30pm matches right into market close (about 4:35pm for UK stock markets), while holding several Bloomberg chats with friends in other banks, analysing each team's talent (nope, not ball technique although that is interesting too....yah!).

I initially intended to do a top 10 best-LOOKING players list but a lot of people have already been there, done that, so I came up with a better and more rounded award system (with the help of my brilliant family & friends)......enjoy!

Scribblediva World Cup 2010 Awards

Best moment: Opening ceremony (SA made Africa look good!)

Funniest moment: The entire Spain vs Holland finals game.....felt like an uncut version of WWE lol

Most Embarrassing moment: Every Nigerian match lol (yes I said it!)

Shocking moment: Discovering Americans can actually play football, sorry I mean soccer "saukerrr"

Most intense game: Ghana vs Uruguay (I actually cried then went for a dim sum binge session with one of my best male friends lol)

Shocking fact: Each team was given $1m to prepare for the tournament (maybe Nigeria missed the memo)

Best match: Germany vs Argentina (maybe the fact I was on a date with a German guy at the time made it more ummm entertaining "gutten tag!")

Best goal: Kevin Prince Boateng (Ghana), opening goal against USA

Best Player: Hmm, Thomas Muller (Germany), based on the matches I watched (of course I skipped some obvious games (cue Nigeria vs Argentina lol)

Best Looking Player: Kevin Prince Boateng, for him I'd do a cameo in Cougar Town *drooooool*


Best Styled Coach: Joachim "Jogi" Löw (Germany).......can I say GQ meets West End

Most entertaining Coach: Diego Maradona (Argentina), restless munchkin

Best Team: Ghana (what can I say, love is blind lol)

Most entertaining Team: Spain! (not surprising considering a significant number of their squad play for Barcelona FC)

Best Coincidence: All the French speaking teams had verrrrry tight jerseys (not complaining, just noting)

Best Lookalikes: Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) and Fernando Torres (Spain), the commentator said it too!

Best WC commercial idea: Lola's Kitchen World Cup themed cupcakes (my personal faves were: Ivory Coast's M&M's cupcake, Italian Tiramisu Trifle cupcake, English Sticky Toffee cupcake.....yum!).


WC Most Hated: Aside from the refrees, it has to be the Vuvuzuelas, Brazil even blamed them for their poor performance lol.


As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end.....World Cup 2010 was a blast! On to the next one.......xoxo

Psssst....told you I know my football ;-)