Sunday 18 July 2010

Four Weddings

Out of sheer boredom, I found myself taking the "Are you a bridezilla?" quiz on Living TV's website (don't ask! and yes at the time, I didn't even know what the term bridezilla meant). My close friends know I'm more of a watch-it-online kinda girl, something to do with the fact that I watched sooooo much telly at uni, my eyeballs literally went square (kidding lol). Truth is, some shows are simply better on telly and Four Weddings is without a doubt, one of them. As a young lady on the slightly darker side of 20 (i.e. over 24), like most other Nigerian girls my age, I've heard my mum and every other aunt or uncle, tell me the same thing for the last decade; "You are ripe for marriage, when are we coming to drink palm wine?" (major cringe!). Being a very odd person (based on what I've been told lol), I have never actually cared much for weddings i.e. the actual "gra gra" (translation: fuss) of the entire ceremony, like having a monthly subscription to bridal magazines with post-its on "potential wedding dresses" like some single women do (why torture yourself so???), or becoming a renowned wedding crasher just to keep abreast of latest wedding developments, such as who the hottest wedding planner or photographer in town is (lolll people actually do this and keep secret journals too). Having said all this, you can imagine my shock, when I realised I had watched SEVERAL episodes of what is fast becoming my TV Achilles, Four Weddings!!! (4W). It got so good I even attempted to watch Bulging Brides, a US reality TV show that tries to get foul eating brides into shape for their big day. I only lasted 5 minutes before I started counting sheep lol. What a pile of horse dung sheesh! Reality TV is generally retarded in my opinion, BUT 4W rocks! (well discounting the odd gay, naked or vampire themed wedding).

Watching the show and having my mum remind me EVERYDAY that she can't wait to dance to "Yori Yori" at my wedding lol (bless her), has definitely tugged at a nerve I didn't realise I had. It also doesn't help that it's wedding season in London and I absolutely love Yori Yori remix (now that is one song I can see myself dancing to at (dear I say it) my wedding.......eeek!). Thanks to my wedding phobia, I haven't actually given much thought to the practical side of things that could go so wrong at a wedding. Like having a guest arrive in a dress similar to yours but much better.....WHY?? Lol! Or What do you do about your friend's child that keeps making way too much noise at the most important parts of the day? (lolll pure evil!). But these are the sort of questions the quiz asked and things you get to see on 4W (luv it!). Apart from the superficial elements of a wedding, like wanting to look like a Barbie bride (still don't get this), having 10 different entertainers at your reception (why share the limelight hello!) and so many other random things that bridezillas insist on having at their weddings, there is a rather beautiful and emotional element of wedding ceremonies, especially the vows which I've sometimes teared up at (shame). The best moments in 4W include: watching the bride walk down the aisle with her father, the couple's first kiss, their first dance, the cultural weddings (so far I've witnessed a Turkish/Russian/Nigerian/Indian/Irish/English wedding) and seeing family and friends celebrating the union. Thanks to 4W, I can bravely say I'm slowly overcoming my phobia and best of all, the test revealed I am NO bridezilla (much to my amazement as bridezillas are blatantly control freaks that obsess about every little detail of their wedding.......sounds a lot like me in my every day life minus the wedding lol). My result said: Sensible and level-headed in adversity. Frankly, the world would be a better place if you were the one being elected Prime Minister next month. Hello Downing Street and umm wedding bells! *shy face*